Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 25, 2014, 03:45:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adjusting truss rod on pre spoke wheel type rod nuts?  (Read 6098 times)
chasarms

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »

For those of us that have a Sadowsky without the spoke wheel, what tool do you use to adjust the truss rod without scruffing anything?

My bass has the old-school Fender type nut that you adjust with a flathead screwdriver. Yet, it has an access slot. I don't think you could get a screwdriver in there at an angle and not either scratch the PG or mess up the slot on the truss nut.

Was there a tool, like maybe a right-angled screw driver, that once existed with the bass, or am I missing something?

On that note, do you think it is possible to retrofit the bass with the spokewheel?

Charles
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 05:01:43 PM »

My old NYC J bass has just enough room to squeeze a long large flat head screwdriver in there.

To protect the body, I take the Sadowsky polish cloth and interpose it between the body of the bass and the screwdriver.

I'd love to get the spokewheel on that and my older Sadowsky instruments.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:42:04 PM by IntenseJim » Logged

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
dragonbass
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:14:44 PM »

A right angle Phillips/Flathead screwdriver would be the best to use not to scuff up the body or pickguard, or you can do what Jim suggested and just lay something between the body and driver...(a piece of Leather works very nicely, which I would also use if using a Right angle driver just in case you slip!).

Yes...We can retrofit our older basses with the spoke wheel, however the Channel would still be there (unless you ordered a New Pickguard for the Vintage models), and the wheel route itself it slightly wider.

Robert
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »

A right angle Phillips/Flathead screwdriver would be the best to use not to scuff up the body or pickguard, or you can do what Jim suggested and just lay something between the body and driver...(a piece of Leather works very nicely, which I would also use if using a Right angle driver just in case you slip!).

Yes...We can retrofit our older basses with the spoke wheel, however the Channel would still be there (unless you ordered a New Pickguard for the Vintage models), and the wheel route itself it slightly wider.

Robert

Great to know. Thanks Robert.

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »

Robert

What about replacing the "slot" nut w/ a "hex" nut (if one is available for the Sad. rod). Then you could buy a Fender wrench which would work well w/ the older style Sad. pg slot, providing the i/s hex is the same size(3/16" I believe). That wrench has a nice log shaft & a "T" handle & has a ball-hex end so you can adjust the angle of use.
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0048693000#
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:10:03 PM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:46:32 PM »

P have a couple of those Fender T wrenches. Although, I have to say I have scruffed up a PG or two using those. I think I may just pick up a 90 degree screwdriver and leave it all as is.

Charles
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: