Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
August 01, 2014, 01:45:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for rack preamp/cab recommendations  (Read 4979 times)
KenOnBass

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »

Hi,

I already have a Alembic F2B paired with a Crest CA-9 into a Berg AE410, but I'm looking to try out another preamp to try out for something different. I"m also considering selling the Berg and replacing with two cabs (one 8 ohm 410 and 1x8 ohm 115.)  The Berg just seems a little too articulate and slightly sterile sounding to me.   Maybe I'm just getting antsy, but looking for something with more low-end booty shaking.) I play mostly old skool funk and rock.  I was considering an Ampeg SVP, but am open to other suggestions for pre's and cabs that work well together....Oh yeah, and overall cabinet weight is also a consideration.  Epifani? Aggie? Orange?

Thanks,

Ken
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »

The house rig I play on a church (it's actually another player's) is a Thunderfunk through an Eden 410XLT. Simple, but the TF sounds great, and there is something about that low-mid hump that Eden XLT cabs have that just really works. It's a huge sound and will not be denied its place in the mix. It's far from sterile but by no means muddy. I'd take that sound on any stage for any venue, any time.

Can't go wrong with Ampeg though. I have two Ampeg rigs.
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »

Kern IP-777 is an amazing preamp for clean tones; it doesn't grind like a Sadowsky SA200 head but man, it's unreal and quite versatile.

Check out the commments on Talkbass.

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
bikeplate
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »

HI

Might wanna try a Berg HS410   More booty than the ae

Rob
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:23:54 PM »

As a DIFFERENT approach have you ever tried sinking the cable straight into an Avalon U5 (pure class A) & then direct to the power & using only the pre on the Sadowsky for tone shaping ? The U5 has a HI Z input w/ a boost circuit (which can be bypassed) so you can set output level to suit your bass vol.control preference range. As a bonus option, it has some useable passive tone contour presets (a variety of "scoops"). This unit is the best TONE PURIFIER I have ever heard ! Just a thought. ("Bass Player" has something re. this on file someplace)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:18:06 PM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
Funnybass

Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:09:13 PM »

Try a Vanderkley VA615 Tube preamp and cabs. (Dutch)

IMO The best I ever owned.
My previous gear: SWR, Eden, Glockenklang, Alembic and Epifani
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:03:52 PM by Funnybass » Logged

Basses: Sadowsky MV5-24, Fender Precision USA, Fender Jazz '62, Fender Jazz '64 Custom Shop CC, Music Man Stingray '79 Pre Ernie Ball, De Gier Bebop, and more
Gear: Vanderkley VA615 Tube Preamp, Lab Gruppen fp3400, 2 x 212 Neolite Vanderkley, Glockenklang Bass Art Classic Amp
Gerard Burick
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »

I currently use a SansAmp RBI and an Ampeg SVT4 Pro... gear is all rackmounted. I also have an Ampeg SVT810E.

I just roll them in, plug up the power and hook up a speaker cable and I'm good to go. 

I don't know what you're after, but I figured I could post what I use anyway.
cripula

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:33:39 PM »

I'm a big fan of Bergantino cabs. I second Bikeplate's suggestion of trying the HS410... but really, see if you can find an NV215 to try. They're bigger than the 4x10 but manageable due to the built in castors and grab handle. Weighs a bit more than the HS410, but well worth it IMHO. It's got all the booty you can handle and then some  Grin

Preamp-wise, hard to say. I like the old 1.5 rack space Demeter VTBP-201: clean, somewhat hi-fi, but nice and warm. But I'm much more of a vintage tube head guy. So I say ditch it all and get a 70s SVT to go with your NV215 Wink
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »

I just put together a new rig that I am very much enjoying. It is some what of a mini monster. It's a Markbass F1 and two Aguilar DB112 cabinets. It pushes big time for it's size, and sounds killer with my Sadowsky PJ 5.

Charles
gillento

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 02:11:31 AM »

+1 on the Markbass / Aguilar combo!

I play a MB SA450 with either a 4ohm db212 or an 8ohm db112.

--------------------------------------
performance starts with conviction
www.loes.lu
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 06:00:42 AM »

I know that Roger is done with the Sadowsky Audio line, but I would have love to see the preamp section of the SA200 release as a stand alone unit. I really liked what I heard when I tried the SA200, and I'm sure that the tube power amp had a lot to do with it, but I also really liked the concept behind the preamp section.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
funkyjudge

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 03:31:52 PM »

Genz Benz Shuttle (or Shuttle Max) -- I happen to have the Shuttle 9.0 -- with an Epifani 3x10 cabinet works for me!!!

Doug
jerry

Cogito Ergo Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 11:58:09 AM »

Genz Benz Shuttle (or Shuttle Max) -- I happen to have the Shuttle 9.0 -- with an Epifani 3x10 cabinet works for me!!!
FWIW, I'm really enjoying my GB Shuttle 9.0 - what a terrific amp.  I marvel at the sound, and then giggle like a schoolgirl at every load-in/out.  These days I'm mostly using one or two Bergantino HT112ER cabs, and I'm really enjoying the sound.  Plenty of oomph - to the extent there's occasionally too much low end - and amazing tone that cuts but still maintains the character of the bass.  My RV5 sounds terrific through this rig, as does the M5-24...even though I still prefer the Epifani cabs with that bass.

Jerry
Metro M5-24 #M432
Metro RV5 #M4146
Genz Benz, Bergantino, Epifani
funkyjudge

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »

FWIW, I'm really enjoying my GB Shuttle 9.0 - what a terrific amp.  I marvel at the sound, and then giggle like a schoolgirl at every load-in/out.  These days I'm mostly using one or two Bergantino HT112ER cabs, and I'm really enjoying the sound.  Plenty of oomph - to the extent there's occasionally too much low end - and amazing tone that cuts but still maintains the character of the bass.  My RV5 sounds terrific through this rig, as does the M5-24...even though I still prefer the Epifani cabs with that bass.

Yes, that Shuttle 9.0 is a fantastic amp, isn't it?  Once I got my passive (1966 Jazz Bass) and active (Sadowsky NYC 24-5) settings dialed-in, it's one awesome "set it and forget it" setup!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: