Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
September 24, 2014, 12:23:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JJ V PJ  (Read 5041 times)
leroyd

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:54:40 PM »

I have a Sadowsky JJ bass and am considering converting to PJ. Is there a big variation in sound between these two configurations?
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31:20 PM »

In my experience with various basses I've owned, I get a 'different' kind of bottom from a P... My JJ basses seem like a different kind of balance that I love, yet I'm very much into having my other basses, one a P and the other a PJ. 

Hopefully, you get more educated responses than mine.. this is just my guess and opinion on the matter.

Keeping the Theory Alive since 2002
gillento

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:40:44 PM »

In my experience with various basses I've owned, I get a 'different' kind of bottom from a P... ...

+1

Furthermore, I think if you favour the P on the PJ, you get a more focussed sound (more low mids) as when you do the same on a JJ (more low end).

One crucial difference might be that with the PJ, a J SC pickup doesn't really make sense (hum cancelling wise), whereas you can easily use a couple of SCs (especially Sadowsky JJs) on the JJ.
In my experience I always favoured Sadowsky SCs on my 5 strings.
But apparently with the Sadowsky 4 strings the difference between SCs and HC are minimal.... But that's a  different discussion Smiley

--------------------------------------
performance starts with conviction
www.loes.lu
leond

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:01:44 AM »

My favorite tone on a JJ is both pickups evenly balanced. Obviously with a PJ, you don't have that tone.

Sadowsky Will Lee 4 -> Mesa Fathom M6 -> Bergantino AE410|AE112
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »

I have a Sadowsky JJ bass and am considering converting to PJ. Is there a big variation in sound between these two configurations?

Yes. It's not subtle. Very different. I have both.

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
leroyd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 11:34:50 AM »

great. Could you give some details on the difference in tone/sound / Thanks
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »

I don't know what kind of bass you own, but be advised that if you own a vintage style bass with pickguard and control plate, you can't convert it to PJ.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
leroyd

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »

I don't know what kind of bass you own, but be advised that if you own a vintage style bass with pickguard and control plate, you can't convert it to PJ.

I own a sadowsky JJ standard. Why is it not possible to convert the Vintage style bass? Is is  possible  to convert the jj standard?
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »

I own a sadowsky JJ standard. Why is it not possible to convert the Vintage style bass? Is is  possible  to convert the jj standard?

With standard JJ models:
The routing to have the option from J to P on the neck position will be clearly visible. If you are not concerned about that, then I suppose it can be done. You can also have two custom pickguards (one for the J and the other for the P) to cover the routing of the pickup that you are not using.

With vintage style JJ models:
It's possible to convert from PJ to JJ, but not the other way around. This is due to the shape of the pickguard and the position of both, the pickguard and the control plate when the bass is built. I've had J style Sadowskys built with the JJ/PJ option, but they were originally built this way.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:36:16 AM by Fran Diaz » Logged

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
leroyd

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 01:51:25 AM »

I own a sadowsky JJ standard. Why is it not possible to convert the Vintage style bass? Is is  possible  to convert the jj standard?

With standard JJ models:
The routing to have the option from J to P on the neck position will be clearly visible. If you are not concerned about that, then I suppose it can be done. You can also have two custom pickguards (one for the J and the other for the P) to cover the routing of the pickup that you are not using.

With vintage style JJ models:
It's possible to convert from PJ to JJ, but not the other way around. This is due to the shape of the pickguard and the position of both, the pickguard and the control plate when the bass is built. I've had J style Sadowskys built with the JJ/PJ option, but they were originally built this way.

I am not concerned with the look of the bass due to routing. I  tend to like the look of basses the are beat up
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »

great. Could you give some details on the difference in tone/sound / Thanks

It's very hard to put into words. For slap style, I think a reasonable idea an be obtained by listening to any Marcus Miller slap J recording vs Wooten's PJ tones on A SHOW OF HANDS.

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: