Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
August 28, 2014, 09:12:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sadowsky design tweaks timeline  (Read 10943 times)
chasarms

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »

All,

I'd very interested if we could assemble a time line of the design tweaks that have been made the the NYC Sadowsky basses.

For example, has the preamp design changed, and if so, when?
When did graphite rods begin to be used in the neck?
When did the VTC come to be?
When did chambering the bodies begin?
When did the PUs go from SD/DiMarzio to Nordstrand?

If there is anything else that adds value, please include that item in the timeline as well.

My interest is in understanding the differences in the basses based on the age. So, that if you run upon a pre-owned bass, you understand what you are looking at?

I know that they are all great, but there has to be some reasons for things changing.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:43:52 PM by chasarms » Logged
HenryD

Himynameishenry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »

Cool idea, I'd also be interested in knowing when they moved to the spokewheel truss rod adjuster.
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:12:28 PM »

Cool idea, I'd also be interested in knowing when they moved to the spokewheel truss rod adjuster.

That is the greatest Sadowsky 'perk' ever.   I love it; it makes my life so much easier when I change strings or when the seaons changes. I keep my guitars and basses in a room with radiant heat, humidifer, and central AC. But still, every so often I need to make a slight tweak to the truss rod.

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »

That is the greatest Sadowsky 'perk' ever.   I love it; it makes my life so much easier when I change strings or when the seaons changes. I keep my guitars and basses in a room with radiant heat, humidifer, and central AC. But still, every so often I need to make a slight tweak to the truss rod.

TOTALLY ! With the constant humidity fluctuation that my city goes through - tweaks are part of life. I'm looking forward to this one !

*Fingers On Flats*
HenryD

Himynameishenry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 04:50:34 PM »

Every Sadowsky I've owned had a rock solid neck so I've really never had to use it much, but yes the spokewheel is AWESOME!
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »

If my research is in line, the graphite necks came to used very late in 2003. I don't think the chambering has a hard date. As I understand, they began mixing them in sometime in '03 as well.

If someone believes otherwise, please advise. This of course begs the question: How can you know the date of manufacture on your Sadowsky?

Is there a serial number range by year list out there somewhere?

It would be awesome if this forum could become the definitive source for such things. It's great having Roger Sadowsky himself minding the kitchen. as he can dispell any falsehoods that might arise.

Chas
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 11:35:14 AM »

If someone believes otherwise, please advise. This of course begs the question: How can you know the date of manufacture on your Sadowsky?

Chas

You can see the month/year and builder written inside the control cavity on the back of the bass.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
KenOnBass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »

I think the spoke rod adjuster came in 2002 because it was just a few months after I got my first Sadowsky.
bikeplate
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 10:42:33 PM »

HI

VTC became standard on NYC's late '03 along with the graphite in the necks and thicker headstock.  I got an NYC about Thanksgiving time that year.  It had the newer neck but did not have a VTC.  I cant remember if it was chambered.  It did weight 8.25lbs so Im thinking it might have been

The present preamp was first used in '90. 

Rob
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »

I will do my best to add info to this as I have time.

Spokewheel truss rod adjusters appeared for the first time in 2000.

Roger
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:29:14 PM by Sadowsky » Logged

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
classicjazz

Bottom Feeders Unite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »

I would be curious to when the neck profile changed. My 1988 has a thinner profile than the newer basses I tried.

RonenTat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 02:04:48 AM »

Chas

You can see the month/year and builder written inside the control cavity on the back of the bass.

NYC basses only (hand written on the back of the cavity cover).
Metro's have no date on them, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:07:34 AM by RonenTat » Logged
Gerard Burick
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 09:02:31 PM »

I would be happy to create a timeline chart for visual purposes once I can get my hands on accurate info.  The more info, the better!
Funnybass

Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 08:48:58 AM »

Great,

If possible ad the some Sadowsky backround information with facts or thoughts, that make the desiccion for change things at that moment in the past.
It makes things clear to a lot of readers and it can Help not to repeat the same answers on same questions all the time.  Grin

Basses: Sadowsky MV5-24, Fender Precision USA, Fender Jazz '62, Fender Jazz '64 Custom Shop CC, Music Man Stingray '79 Pre Ernie Ball, De Gier Bebop, and more
Gear: Vanderkley VA615 Tube Preamp, Lab Gruppen fp3400, 2 x 212 Neolite Vanderkley, Glockenklang Bass Art Classic Amp
marchone

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »

A complete bulleted timeline as a sticky would be nice.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: