Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 31, 2014, 10:55:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery life  (Read 6506 times)
bassface

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:47:35 AM »

Hi all, Ive got a Will Lee MV4 and the battery has gone flat again( its down to 4.5 volt and i can hear distortion in the sound),the last time was 4 months ago.So i figure battery life is around 4 months (and yes i alawys pull the lead out when im not at the gig or practising) . Im just wondering is this what you guys are experiencing , the reason im curious is because with my old 76 musicman the battery would last about 2 YEARS...or maybe its normal with modern active pickups for batteries to not last so long...your thoughts?  thanks  EDIT...Ive been playing it for around 20 min with the new batt and it sounds great , maybe the batt has been underpowered for a while coz this is a great sound.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:04:32 AM by bassface » Logged
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:56 AM »

It doesn't sound right at all. I change the battery maybe once a year and it always reads more than 8 volts (then I use it for my tuner).

Is this the first time that you change the battery? if so, maybe it was already half-empty when you got the bass. See what happens with the new one but if it goes dead so fast contact the shop for advice.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:13:57 AM by Fran Diaz » Logged

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »

I've noticed that sometimes other types of batteries die quickly if it's past their expiry date when they're installed. Worth a check if you buy batteries on sale.
B.

*Fingers On Flats*
bassface

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »

thanks for the reply.this is the second batt since i got the bass. the original batt was doing the same things when i changed it to a top of the line batt,which is now ,after approx 4 months  degrading my sound...weird. at this rate ill be changing batts almost as often as strings.
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

Ask Roger about it.  That seems odd.  I've only changed my batteries a few times in the last five years!  Though I live in Phoenix, AZ and we don't have cold winters or severe weather snaps that may play a role there.  I don't know, though.

I think I've only needed to change my batteries about once every 18-24 months.  I always pull my cable from my bass when I'm done playing and I like Duracell Procells. 

Keeping the Theory Alive since 2002
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »

I'm sure it's going to be an easy fix. Contact the shop.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:07:55 PM »

That sounds awfully quick with an alkaline battery. Are you maxing your preamp settings all the time which hypothetically could put more drain on the battery?   Mine lasts always more than a year in my guitars and basses.

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
bassface

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »

ok sounds like im the only one with this problem...what is it an open circuit kinda thing...im in australia so i cant take it back to the sadowsky shop...oh well just wish there werent so many screws on the back plate...
RonenTat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »

My advise would be to open the back plate (oh yes) and check for unwanted (best word I came up with...) contacts.
bassface

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:08:23 AM »

ok guys its been 5 months since my last battery went flat...guess what? the battery (energiser extra) just went flat enough to affect my sound,replaced battery sound comes back. so thats it then, around 5 months of life....and it went flat all of a sudden too, it was ok yesterday...so i guess always keep some spare batteries. doesnt sound right ,though.
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »

Get a Batt-O-Meter!  Someone in Australia must carry them.
5 months sounds reasonable if you play a lot.

https://secure.sadowsky.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=243&osCsid=11bb8c89b652c256f375340a10c16f20

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
bassface

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 12:27:43 AM »

thanks for the reply roger...yeah i got one of those batt o meter things...they are good for checking the batt,the problem is that there wasnt any noticable degradation in the sound,it didnt seem gradual,just ok one day not ok the next...the batt o meter said 4.5 volts .the tongue test test said "no buzz" ill keep my ears open next time this current battery starts hitting 5 or 6 V.and see if the sound degrades...btw i play about an hour to hour half every day and gig days the lead will be plugged from s/check to the end. about 6/7 hours .so i dont know if thats average or a lot
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »

I recommend replacing the battery at 7.5 volts.
You will get longer battery life if you unplug your bass after soundcheck.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
bassface

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:08:14 AM »

yeah ,good idea about unplugging after s/check but changing at 7.5V could mean every 2 months.that quite a few batteries.
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45:29 AM »

I doubt if you will need a new battery every 2 months.  This is just a recommendation if you don't want your battery to die unexpectedly.   Feel free to push the battery level as far as you are comfortable.  I think 3 bucks every few months is a cheap way to have piece of mind.

Roger

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: