Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
April 21, 2014, 05:41:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridge saddle height screws/bridge finish  (Read 1647 times)
EscapeNote

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2011, 09:02:53 PM »

I've been traveling a lot with my NYC 24/5, often down to humid climates.  Have been noticing some rust and wearing away on the bridge finish, haven't paid it too much mind.  But I went to adjust the bridge saddle height this afternoon and the screws wouldn't budge!  I poked around online for awhile, not sure whether to use WD40, Triflow, Liquid Wrench or whatever... Since I needed to get it back up and running pretty quickly I opted to take the bridge saddles off, one at a time, and work em over with liquid wrench, rag and toothbrush.  I took this photo first.

The liquid Wrench did the trick - I can now adjust all saddles up n down again.  But I'm wondering if it's just a temporary fix?  The screws didn't appear to be rusty to my eyes (when I finally got em out).  They seemed more 'gunky' than anything.  But as you can see there is some wearing away of the finish on top of the saddles and what appears to be rust forming in those places.  Also I've read that WD40, Liquid Wrench and the like can actually promote the development of rust.  Don't know if that's true, but if so, maybe it's time to replace the bridge saddles?

Anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks!

Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »

I would just back out the adjustment screws and put some machine oil, vaseline or some other light grease on them to prevent rust.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
EscapeNote

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »

I will do that - thanks Roger!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: