Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
August 23, 2014, 03:47:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: need an anchor for r/h thumb  (Read 1653 times)
bassface

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:22:50 AM »

Ive just moved from a Musicman Stingray to a Will Lee MV4 and Im having a lot of trouble peddling fast on the E string without somewhere suitable to anchor my right hand thumb. On the Musicman I would rest my thumb on the top left hand corner of the pickup but on the MV4 the back pick up is too far away from where I get my desired sound and the front pickup is well, too far forward. Ive been comparing the two basses to find the differences and after much experimentation Ive come to the conclusion that Im gonna have to get some guitar tech to bolt on a something for me to rest my thumb on in between the two pickups.Im 99% certain i need to have this done for my playing style so I just wonder what your thoughts on this are and possibly if you know of any other instances where this has occured...I know its a horrible idea adding a piece hardware to the body of the guitar but im convinced I have no other choice...this problem is the only thing stopping my love for this bass growing to the next level as I really love its constructiuon, its even tempermant and great clarity...I sincerely want to make this my main instrument. BTW I play in 80s style cover bands so theres lots of fast pumping (160/170BPM, think Rebel Yell Billy Idol) on the E string therefore its imperative that im able to play them comfortably as i was able to do on the Musicman. Your thoughts are apprieciated.
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 09:26:28 PM »

I have been making custom thumb rests for players for 35 years.  I make them out of ebony or clear plexi.   The big issue is putting a hole in the top of the bass unless you are absolutely certain of where you want it.  I suggest you fabricate something about 1/4 wide and high and attach it with double stick tape.  Do you want it even with the outside edge of the pickups or do you want it to mount on the outside edge of the pickup?  Do you want it to extend beyond the bridge pickup towards the neck pickup or just running from the bridge pickup towards the bridge.  You can use 1/2 of a chopstick to experiment and get double stick tape at Staples.  When you have decided what works best from you, you can send the bass to us or bring it to a local tech to have it fabricated and attached.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: