Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 25, 2014, 07:09:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5-string neck dimensions  (Read 5355 times)
Joebone

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

So I've been using a Metro R5-24 as my main axe over the past year - a fine, fine instrument!   But I also sometimes crave more of an old-school sound, and have been looking into vintage-series 5-stringers.   In playing a few of these, the neck seems nowhere near as comfortable for me as on the R5-24.   Are those modern-series 5-string necks flatter, and/or smaller in some dimension?   Other than the narrower nut, how does the neck on a 5-string Will Lee compare?

Thanks, all!
Kevin

I am a high school history teacher and historian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:38:41 PM »

Hi Joe,

This is my first post to this forum. I recently purchased a Metro UV-70 bass 4-string and absolutely love it.  This is after playing a 5- string Musicman Stingray and various 5-string Fender basses for a number of years.  As much as I love my 4-string I soon yearned for that low b string so during my last trip to NYC (during the recent December snow storm) my wife and I somehow managed to make it over to the shop so I could check out some 5-string NYC basses.  I actually wasn't even thinking of a Will Lee model, but once I tried it I was sold.  It has the most comfortable 5-string neck that I've ever played and I was immediately sold.  Unlike the other basses I've played there was no strain in my hand and the action was incredibly fast.  To make a long story short I placed my order before leaving the store.  This is a roundabout way of saying that you should definitely try one out if possible. 

On a different note I just want to say what a pleasure it was having the chance to meet Roger in person.  My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with him about music and science.  Lisa Hahn made us feel right at home and answered all of my questions.  I am not a professional bass player, but what I truly value about Roger's basses is that they allow me to play at my skill level without any struggle.  Perhaps these kind words will now speed up the building process.  Smiley

Best,
Kevin
Charlottesville, Virginia
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:11:46 PM »

So I've been using a Metro R5-24 as my main axe over the past year - a fine, fine instrument!   But I also sometimes crave more of an old-school sound, and have been looking into vintage-series 5-stringers.   In playing a few of these, the neck seems nowhere near as comfortable for me as on the R5-24.   Are those modern-series 5-string necks flatter, and/or smaller in some dimension?   Other than the narrower nut, how does the neck on a 5-string Will Lee compare?

Thanks, all!

On the Metro Line, we only offer a 1-7/8" nut width.  On our NYC basses we offer 1-7/8" and 1-3/4".  The Will Lee model is 1-3/4".

I am waiting for Yoshi to send me the actual neck thickness specs of all the Metro models so I can compare to my NYC necks.  I'll post the results when I get them.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Joebone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:44:21 AM »

Marvelous!   I'm also wondering about variation in the fingerboard radius - perhaps the R5-24 is flatter?
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »

Here are the neck specs for the Metro Line, according to Yoshi:

Here is Metro neck thickness;
at 1st fret     between 20.0 to 20.5mm
at 12th fret   between 23.8 to 24.3mm

All models are same and it depends on fretboard sanding.

Here are Metro neck width;
at the nut / at heel ends

4st     39mm-63mm
5st     48mm-78mm
WL-4  37mm-64mm
4-24    39mm-66mm

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Timothy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »

Thanks Roger for the detailed info, if so, any data of NYC's neck?  Grin Thanks in advance.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: