Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:16:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: BUILD - NYC Vintage P-Bass w/ PJ pups  (Read 22459 times)
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »

Roger, I have always cleaned my flats with rubbing alcohol quite often by pinching the string with the wet spot on a cloth around the string a running the length a few times.  Since alcohol is a drying agent I will avoid the rosewood on my Sad' build & wondered if I would be wise to avoid the lacquer finish on the neck as well. What say you?
I recall Rob LoPrinzi suggesting foam windex for cleaning fretboards. Is that what I should be using on the whole of the neck wood? I am religious about keeping the entire neck clean.
 Thank you for that exquisite pc of Madagascar.

Hi Blair,

Firstly...Congrats on the bass! Glad to hear your loving it. It was pleasure to build (but then again which ones aren't).

-Alcohol on the Flats are fine to clean with.
-As for the neck, I would only use Bestine or our everyday polish to lightly wipe it down. It is Nitro so if you rub too hard it will buff to a gloss over time.
-On the Madagascar board I would use the planet Waves Hyrdate that we sell. Stuff is amazing, oils the board and cleans too! Don't over use it...just a few times a year. Trust me..I'm as anal as the next { Well, maybe a bit too much} concerning condition of my basses ( and others).

Other than that.....Just play the bass!

Robert

Thanks a lot Rob.
You have no idea where my head is at right now bro! It's gonna take a long time to find the floor again.
And trust me - I WILL just play the bass. I have it on standby, sitting on the stand close to where I sit at the computer. Once in awhile I catch myself turning my head & THERE IT IS! I still keep forgetting that it's at HOME now. It's been only in my head for 8 long months.

Blair.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:09:51 PM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »

Killer looking bass!  How does it play?  How does it sound!  You went with a P-bass style neck instead of J Bass neck?  Enjoy!

The P bass neck that Roger builds is like the neck of a beautiful woman that extends from her head to where her back loses its name.  Grin

LOL  Another one for my "wall of fame" Fran.
B.

*Fingers On Flats*
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »

What a beauty! Give us som sound clips, please

Please bear with me for awhile. I have to figure out how to work this thing 1st.  Grin
B.

EDIT: I enjoy doing some overdub recording at home (recording my playing over the CD music w/ it's bass removed) & these are examples to hear my bass in a mix.
B.
Kenny Wayne Shepherd - "Blue On Black"
https://www.box.com/shared/676e94fd39f47cdb2c6a
The Eagles - "I Can't Tell You Why"
http://www.box.net/shared/u8fluz2y3kj9x25bbk2y

These are replacement files for the original ones which were deleted. Both of the originals,(both are a bit fatter in tone), can be previewed from the Quote in the post below, as a tonal comparison.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:08:29 PM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
doughboy247

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:21 PM »

Please bear with me for awhile. I have to figure out how to work this thing 1st.  Grin
B.

EDIT: I enjoy doing some overdub recording at home (recording my playing over the CD music w/ it's bass removed) & these are the 1st couple of examples to hear my new bass in a mix. It's gonna take awhile to get to know the "personality" of the bass but I am overwhelmed with this instrument!
B.
http://www.box.net/shared/4m9q6azbsn

http://www.box.net/shared/j2ptlfl2lm

nice :-)

listened to mostly the Eagles track...sounds really thick, man...how did you have it set (blend, EQ, VTC)? Has a slightly compressed feel to it (not in a bad way, and i'm not sure if that's the original track's compression I might be hearing mostly)...that low F# at 0:20...mmmmm just warm and...perfect lol

U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,B,A,SEL,ST :-D
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »

B.

EDIT: I enjoy doing some overdub recording at home (recording my playing over the CD music w/ it's bass removed) & these are the 1st couple of examples to hear my new bass in a mix. It's gonna take awhile to get to know the "personality" of the bass but I am overwhelmed with this instrument!
B.
http://www.box.net/shared/4m9q6azbsn Deleted/replaced above.

http://www.box.net/shared/j2ptlfl2lm Deleted/replaced above

nice :-)

listened to mostly the Eagles track...sounds really thick, man...how did you have it set (blend, EQ, VTC)? Has a slightly compressed feel to it (not in a bad way, and i'm not sure if that's the original track's compression I might be hearing mostly)...that low F# at 0:20...mmmmm just warm and...perfect lol

IT'S JUST THE SAD' !!!   Cool
Seriously, it's a combination of the low end growl of the flats (on that note) & the fingers. Over many years, I have cultivated a right hand finger style to get flats to pop a bit. And it CAN be a problem unless you "harness" that percussive attack on a recording. This percussive front end of the note can give the illusion of compression.
I do use a dbx 160a compressor but these tracks have minimal comp.
Per your question about bass controls:
1. "Blue On Black"- P pup soloed, VTC full up, preamp bass & treble both 50% boost. Bass track EQ'd for the overdub mix. Sadowsky SBF45 flats.
2. " I Can't Tell You Why" - P pup soloed, VTC full up, preamp bass set flat & treble @ 60% boost for the flats. No bass track EQ mod. Sadowsky SBF45 flats.
B.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:54:23 PM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
doughboy247

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 06:49:15 AM »

IT'S JUST THE SAD' !!!  LOL.
Seriously, it's a combination of the low end growl of the flats (on that note) & the fingers. Over many years, I have cultivated a right hand finger style to get flats to pop a bit. And it CAN be a problem unless you "harness" that percussive attack. This percussive front end of the note is what gives the illusion of compression.
I do use a dbx 160a compressor but these tracks have no comp. I over-compressed the KWS track at 1st but it was over the top. The ash/rosewood spec is involved here as well in that tone you hear.

I most definitely understand the importance of appropriate technique, and I have a really nice Fender P with flats so i'm used to that low end thickness, but idk it just blended with the recording so well there on that particular note that it nearly seemed like it was the original. are those sadowsky flats?

P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »

IT'S JUST THE SAD' !!!  LOL.
Seriously, it's a combination of the low end growl of the flats (on that note) & the fingers. Over many years, I have cultivated a right hand finger style to get flats to pop a bit. And it CAN be a problem unless you "harness" that percussive attack. This percussive front end of the note is what gives the illusion of compression.
I do use a dbx 160a compressor but these tracks have no comp. I over-compressed the KWS track at 1st but it was over the top. The ash/rosewood spec is involved here as well in that tone you hear.

I most definitely understand the importance of appropriate technique, and I have a really nice Fender P with flats so i'm used to that low end thickness, but idk it just blended with the recording so well there on that particular note that it nearly seemed like it was the original. are those sadowsky flats?

I have used D'Addario chromes 105-50 for many years. The strong fundamental & that particular gauge & stiffness is "home" for me. But you gotta get "your" action comfort nailed or it's all for naught.
I DO highly recommend the Sadowsky SBF45 (standard gauge flats). Extremely well balanced in tone. Feel is slightly less stiff than the chromes & not quite as "heavy" in their sound as the chromes but the tone is SO seductive.  
B.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:26:28 PM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
stopolos

Happiness has 4 strings

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

Nice playing! I have listened through the tracks on my stoneage computer & speakers, and your warm tone is definately great! Especially I like the the balance on the lows!  Nice (and not overdone) compression! You certainly have got yourself a lifetime buddy:D

Thanks for shearing!
doughboy247

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »

IT'S JUST THE SAD' !!!  LOL.

I have used D'Addario chromes 105-50 for many years. The strong fundamental & that particular gauge & stiffness is "home" for me. But you gotta get "your" action comfort nailed or it's all for naught.
I DO highly recommend the Sadowsky SBF45 (standard gauge flats). Extremely well balanced in tone. Feel is slightly less stiff than the chromes & not quite as "heavy" in their sound as the chromes but the tone is SO seductive.  
B.

I've been curious about trying other flats on my P-Bass, i've only taken the "classic" route so far with the LaBella's (the thickest set before the "jamersons", those are HEAVY) and it's doing it for me right now, I once owned some TI Jazz flats, but they were on a fretless J-Bass so I can't compare really. Maybe i'll give the chromes a looksee...ever used the LaBella's or TI Jazz?

P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »

Dressed the build with the spare tort PG that I ordered with the bass. Although I still prefer the mint PG, it's not gonna be easy taking this one off again.  Grin
B.

*Fingers On Flats*
RonenTat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »

Hey Blair,
I like this one better, although killer either way.
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »

Hey Blair,
I like this one better, although killer either way.

It's nice to have 2 PG's to alternate if I get the urge. Like having 2 basses.  Cool
B.

*Fingers On Flats*
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 03:59:33 AM »

Thought I'd post another clip of my build w/flats since it's been awhile.
This is an overlay on my friend Roman Riccio's Elton John cover of "Your Song". He recorded this in his apartment using a high end vocal mic & electric keyboard.
The Bass Settings: Pan @ detent, VTC @ full up, Bass preamp - bass flat & treble @ 20% boost.
Used a Great River ME-1NV preamp & dbx160a comp & recorded the mix direct on an Olympus LS10.
The YouTube upload was set for HD so use the 720p HD setting on the right of the progress bar. That'll give you a bonus resolution of the still shot of the Sad' as well.  Grin  if you hit the full screen setting - the bass looks REAL good @ 720p HD.  (this is not a video)
You may like to check out Roman's original video of it while you're there.
B.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYgXvkGxH4  

Hosted mp3.
http://www.box.net/shared/4gk5o0odajn8yzos0s4g
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:00:22 PM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 06:44:01 AM »

This is an overlay on my friend Roman Riccio's Elton John cover of "Your Song". He recorded this in his apartment using a high end vocal mic & electric keyboard.
The Bass Settings: Pan @ detent, VTC @ full up, Bass preamp - bass flat & treble @ 20% boost.
Used a Great River ME-1NV preamp & dbx160a comp & recorded the mix direct on an Olympus LS10.
The YouTube upload was set for HD so use the 720p HD setting on the right of the progress bar. That'll give you a bonus resolution of the still shot of the Sad' as well.  Grin  if you hit the full screen setting - the bass looks REAL good @ 720p HD.  (this is not a video)
B.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MIV-jXZgNs

I had to say it again: I love it! keep it up, Blair.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »

B.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MIV-jXZgNs

I had to say it again: I love it! keep it up, Blair.

Thanks amigo. Posted new link ^
B.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYgXvkGxH4 - (new link)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:15:44 AM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: